“Get ready to interview Cade Rice, I just have a feeling he’s going to win it on my gelding today,” Tara Johnson commented, half-jokingly, before the Royal Crown 6-&-Under began.
She wasn’t bluffing, because shortly after, Wantted and Rice earned $10,308 and the win on May 10.
Rice and Wantted didn’t make much noise in the rounds, with their best placing being fourth in the third round—a 136.67 point run that was worth $400. However, their 138.58 short go run helped boost the pair to an aggregate title.
The 2017 gelding is by Dual Rey and out of Playguns Desire by Playgun. The Johnsons, who also owned 2020 ARHFA Heading Champ X My Ich, purchased Wantted in January, after Dakota Kirchenschlager campaigned him in his 4-year-old season. Rice said that although he hasn’t ridden the horse for very long, the gelding is enjoyable both inside and outside the roping arena.
“He’s a cowboy horse. That horse sees everything, he pays attention to everything,” Rice said. “He can do a lot of stuff other horses can’t do, just because of his athleticism.”
For Darren Johnson, Wantted seemed like a perfect fit for his family’s personal program after the conclusion of his futurity years. He and Rice both share a liking of the stallion behind Wantted.
“The Dual Rey’s—from what I’ve seen—they fit me for what I do with them. They’re a little bit hotter, but tough,” said Johnson.
“I come from a cutting background,” Rice added. “We’ve rode quite a few Dual Rey’s. I’ve always had a lot of luck with them. They can be a little hot or fractious, but if you take the right approach with them, most of them are pretty good horses.”
Rice took home the title of ARHFA Intermediate World Champion in the heading back in 2021 on a horse named Sevens Spanish Gold, who is by Dual Spark by Duel Pep—hinting that the Dual Pep line may favor Rice’s style on both ends.
Rice also mused that his experience in the cutting pen has helped him have success in the roping arena. Although the crossover may not be obvious, Rice pointed out that core concepts such as keeping a horse behind the bridle, reading a cow, and quick movements off your seat and hands are qualities that both successful cutting horses and rope horses need to showcase. Besides having the right tools in his kit, Rice helped set himself up for success by enlisting 2020 PRCA World Champion Header, Colby Lovell on the horns.
One often overlooked component of the futurity circuit is the delicate balance of maintaining a solid owner-trainer relationship, but the Johnsons were full of praise for Rice’s work with Wantted.
“Having faith in your trainer is a big part of it. We’re very blessed to have Cade. He does a great job,” Tara Johnson said.
Royal Crown 6 & Under: Heeling
- Cade Rice on Wantted, 544.65 points on four head, worth $6,950 owner, $1,479 stallion, and $1,479 breeder
- Cade Rice on Jungle Cat, 542.4 points on four head, worth $5,760 owner, $1,224 stallion, and $1,224 breeder
- Joseph Harrison on Ro Roll Tide Dualy, 540.81 points on four head, worth $4,560 owner, $969 stallion, and $969 breeder
- Shay Carroll on JKC Playen Lectric, 539.09 points on four head, worth $3,360 owner, $714 stallion, and $714 breeder
- Cole Davison on SJR Black Diamond, 536.7 points on four head, worth $2,160 owner, $459 stallion, and $459 breeder
- Tyler Schaffner on Starlight Oak 107, 533.07 points on four head, worth $1,200 owner, $255 stallion, and $255 breeder
- Cole Davison on SJR Black Diamond, 140.42 points, worth $1,600
- Colby Lovell on Reys of Pep, 138.96 points, worth $1,200
- Joseph Harrison on Ro Roll Tide Dualy, 137.18 points, worth $800
- Tyler Schaffner on Starlight Oak 107, 137.16 points, worth $400
- Colby Lovell on Reys of Pep, 139.29 points, worth $1,600
- Cade Rice on Jungle Cat, 135.49 points, worth $1,200
- Shay Carroll on JKC Playen Lectric, 135.17 points, worth $800
- Joseph Harrison on Ruf N Wound Up, 135.06, worth $400
- Cade Rice on Woody Be A Fox, 138.66 points, worth $1,600
- Shay Carroll on JKC Playen Lectric, 137.45 points, worth $1,200
- Junior Nogueira on Metallic Payday, 136.83 points, worth $800
- Cade Rice on Wannted, 136.67 points, worth $400
- Cade Rice on Wannted, 138.58 points
- Joseph Harrison on Ro Roll Tide Dualy, 137.54 points
- Dakota Kirchenschlager on Senoritas Holly Time, 136.72 points, worth $1,000 bonus
- Cade Rice on Jungle Cat, 136.3 points