Kaleb Driggers and Brad Culpepper tied Turtle Powell and Jhett Johnson with a 4.1-second run to win Round 3 of the 2011 National Finals Rodeo.
The teams are both in average contention, as Powell, Stephenville, Texas, and Johnson, Casper, Wyo., moved to first in the average and Driggers, Albany, Ga., and Culpepper, Poulan, Ga., moved to fourth. Powell and Johnson have already earned $40,817.32 this NFR, bumping them to fourth in the World Standings. They were at 13th and 12th, respectively, at the start of the rodeo. This was the biggest jump of any competitors in the field so far.
Kaleb Driggers claimed his first go-round buckle after just three steers at the NFR, while Powell claimed his first after 43. Johnson and Culpepper both earned their second go-round buckles.
We caught up with Johnson to talk us through his run, and Powell to talk about being without his go-to horse, Vegas, for the Finals.
And we talked to Kaleb Driggers and Brad Culpepper to talk us through their winning run.
Round 3 Results:
1./2. Kaleb Driggers/Brad Culpepper - 4.1
1./2. Turtle Powell/Jhett Johnson - 4.1
3. Luke Brown/Martin Lucero - 4.4
4./5. Matt Sherwood/Cory Petska - 4.5
4./5. Colby Lovell/York Gill - 4.5
6. Spencer Mitchell/Broc Cresta - 4.6
1. Turtle Powell/Jhett Johnson - 12.6 (on three)
2. Trevor Brazile/Patrick Smith - 16.0
3. Colby Lovell/York Gill - 18.3
4. Jake Barnes/Walt Woodard - 23.1
5. Kaleb Driggers/Brad Culpepper - 28.7
6. Matt Sherwood/Cory Petska - 6.6 (on two)