The Ariat World Series of Team Roping and The American Rodeo will host their three regional contender finals in February. At each, 12 teams will go head-to-head on one steer for $40,000 in prize money.
Regional Contender Tournament Finals Schedule
- Tulsa, Oklahoma — Feb. 3–5, 2023
- Tulsa, Oklahoma, will host the Central Contender Tournament Finals Feb. 3–5 at the Tulsa Fairgrounds.
- Lexington, Kentucky — Feb. 8–10, 2023
- Lexington, Kentucky’s famed Kentucky Horse Park will host the East Contender Tournament Finals Feb. 8–10.
- Heber City, Utah: Feb. 16–18, 2023
- The West Contender Tournament Finals will take place in Heber City, Utah, at the Wasatch Events Center Feb. 16–18.
How to Rope for $1 Million
Ropers will compete on the final day of competition at each of those regional events.
The first-place team at the regional finals will win $20,000. Second place wins $12,000, third takes home $6,000 and fourth wins $2,000. Each of those four teams advances.
Those four teams will face off with three teams from the American Open at the Ariat WSTR Finale and five teams from No. 6–No. 20 in the PRCA world standings. Four teams will then advance to the Contender Finals, televised on March 8 with an $80,000 payout.
Then, the top five Contender Finalists will compete at The American Rodeo at Globe Life Field in Arlington, Texas, on March 11. Competitors making it through the contender tournament will be eligible for an extra $1 million in prize money at The American Rodeo itself, squaring off against the top five in the PRCA’s world standings in Arlington.