When Clay O’Brien Cooper pulled back on his steer in Omaha, Neb., at the Justin Boots Championships, Chad Masters’ horse Wort faced so hard he nearly rocked off the side. Their time of 4.8 seconds would best anyone else by half a second, as only four teams were smooth in a setup that put the pressure on teams fighting for the World Standings’ lives.
And as soon as the flag fell, Masters and Smith rode out of the arena, hopped in the truck and headed to Stephenville to collect a few more dollars to clinch their trip to Las Vegas.
1. Chad Masters/Clay O’Brien Cooper 4.8
2. Kaleb Driggers/Patrick Smith 5.3
3. Jake Barnes/Junior Nogueira 5.6
4. Charly Crawford/Shay Carroll 5.8
5. Coleman Proctor/Jake Long 9.1
6. Travis Tryan/Monty Joe Petska 9.7
7. Turtle Powell/Dakota Kirchenschlager 9.8
Rhen Richard/Martin Lucero (header missed)
Ty Blasingame/Cole Davison (heeler missed)
Dustin Bird/Paul Eaves (header missed)
Spencer Mitchell/Russell Cardoza (header missed)
Brady Tryan/Tommy Zuniga (header missed)
Omaha is now a one-header, with a separate Champions Challenge Finale Saturday night. A win in the team roping for the rodeo itself will pay $6,120.