Cowy. Quick footed. HARD stopping.
The horses that got their riders to the 2021 Wrangler National Finals Rodeo on the heel side have all three of these things in common. But what else do they have in common? For many, the blood of Peppy San Badger, Freckles Playboy and Doc Bar runs thick. Here are some general observations about these pedigrees.
- Playgun makes multiple appearances this year in the NFR heel horse pedigree field. Junior Nogueira’s Apache R Hali sports Playgun on her maternal side, while Jade Corkill’s Sixes Posse is an own son of the famous stallion. Wesley Thorp split his season aboard Pistol Playin Roy, a grandson of Playgun, while Douglas Rich is riding a grandson of Playgun on the paternal side in his gelding, Seven Sun.
- Corkill’s JLC Royal American remains the most bred-to-run on the list, with First Down Dash, Beduino and Three Bars on his papers—complemented by a little maternal sprinkling of Shining Spark.
- The two mares on the list this year are Nogueira’s Apache R Hali and Harrison’s Lula Dual, though both made limited appearances in 2021.
- Lula Dual and Dual Chip are the only siblings in this year’s pack, both paternal offspring of the late stallion Dual Spark.
- DT Diamonds R King, ridden some this year by Trey Yates, is out of Dean Tuftin’s famous broodmare Kings Snazzy Sugar—the same mare out of which Billie Jack Saebens Horse of the Year DT Sugar Chex Whiz came.
1. Junior Nogueira’s Kiehnes Frosty Pepto
A Mini Brownie
2. Travis Graves’ Dual Chip
3. Paden Bray’s EM Magic Bar Eleven
4. Jade Corkill’s JLC Royal American
5. Wesley Thorp’s Little Hickory Boon
Pistol Playin Roy
6. Jake Long’s The Star Pepto
7. Trey Yates’ Romancing The Chics
In the Nic of Shine
DT Diamonds R King
8. Chase Tryan’s Col Triangle Gold
9. Ross Ashford’s Darrel
10. Logan Medlin’s Nita Win Playboy
TRR I Prefer Win To Win
11. Buddy Hawkins’ X
12. Jeremy Buhler’s Knight Robber Son
13. Douglas Rich’s Seven Sun
14. Brady Minor’s Leos Highbrow
15. Joseph Harrison’s CRR Hurricane Fajita